Sunday, March 13, 2011

Ketchup and Mustard

Sorry for the hiatus ... our Internet crashed on the 15th or 16th, and its still lying prostrate. I thought it would be good to live without the Information Superhighway; it's not ... partly because I need the damn thing to do any work, partly because I like news that comes from outside Zambia, and partly because being able to keep in touch with family and friends via Skype is nice, and mostly because I got a positive response on one of my journal articles I submitted back in July and I need to be in contact with my adviser more often.

I read in the Guardian an article about how social networking sites (i.e. Facebook) has in a weird way allowed people to form communities similar to those historical small neighborhoods that gave way once American people started shifting around so much for work. In a sense, I miss my community a bit; being the lone white in Senanga, I have a role to play and feel very welcomed, but being fully part of the community I live with may take more time than I have.

Lord, I'm going soft; I used to mock people with cellphones and Internet. Oh well ... can't be a bush-rat all the time. The Luddite is coming around, but don't expect a Blackberry anytime soon; my barely-opposable thumbs can't manage those tiny keys.

Anyway, will post periodically using our overpriced Internet cafe until we get repaired.

No comments:

Post a Comment