Sunday, November 28, 2010

Mukona

Decent week on the Faidherbia albida front. I can't dedicate too much time to it during the week because I'm working. However, I do work at the Food Reserve Agency depot in Senanga, and people are always coming and going, either to pick up their receipt for their maize sales, or to pick up their crop input supplies (Fair Warning: As a PCV, I have to be circumspect about what I write on that topic).

Anyway, how to get people to plant some of the seeds I have that ZNFU/CFU generously gave me (a couple of kilograms, i.e., countless thousands of seeds)? Well, I hung a simple sign on our gate that read "MUSANGU / FAIDHERBIA ALBIDA SEEDS AVAILABLE ... INQUIRE IN FRA OFFICE" on Thursday; so far four people have come in for seeds. Their is always some apprehension, as I think maybe people expect to have to pay for the seeds; after I hand them over and ask that they let me come and see the results in a few months, they do a double-take and smile.

I've been teaching direct seeding, as we're getting late in the year for nurseries. Giving enough seeds for farmers to plant at least two in a station at the same time as they plant their maize. We'll see how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment