Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Pride of Senanga

On Sunday evenings, the Zambia National Broadcasting Company (ZNBC) plays a program called "Kulima [farming] Hour", and this week they featured our agency's work with SDACSS. Back in December, I had been interviewed by our friends over at Zambia National Information Services (ZANIS); and sure enough my mug was on TV for about seven minutes, talking about our business project, Munati Peanut Butter (currently our only product), our upcoming products (rice and cooking oil), challenges / opportunities working in Senanga, etc. This is not buzz clip TV; they let you talk and talk, so there was a lot of me, my manager, my agency's manager, our employees grinding peanut butter, etc.

The response was immediate; in town, people are giving me the equivalent of pats on the back, saying I am doing a good job bringing these things, they are proud of the product, etc. On one hand, it's unfortunate they think I'm the catalyst (I see myself as an impetus rather than the initiator) of the project ... my agency manager for Senanga, Charles Mjumphi is the real initiator. On the other hand, there is a lot of appreciation for the work that we're doing, not just with the peanut butter, but also the successes we are having with Conservation Agriculture, rice growing, building the cooperative, etc.

We've got a long way to go, but I've realized lately that building that sense of pride is key to our long-term success. In a twisted way, Senanga residents portray themselves in the same way Nathaniel portrayed Nazareth when he first heard of Jesus (John, 1:46); that is, many people can't see something good coming out of Senanga (good "things" emanate from Lusaka, outside Zambia, etc). We are turning this around a bit; hence our new Munati products will all carry the slogan, "The Pride of Senanga".

Speaking of pride, peanut butter sales have been on the rise, and the TV time didn't hurt; we are close to our first goal of 150 jars per week, and sales within Senanga have jumped. Our bakery owner is asking for 48 jars, up from his original order of 15.

Benevolent agricultural capitalism that builds pride, satisfies customers, and brings social benefits to producers? Yes, it's possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment